Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, April 21, 2006

Asthma it is!

Jacob had what I guess I'd call an "asthma attack" this morning, he woke up fine but during his diaper change started coughing and wheezing and breathing harder by the minute with his ribs pulling in hard. I quickly gave him a respiratory treatment which did resolve the problem for the most part except that he continued to wheeze. We went straight to the doctor's that decided he had asthma. This is probably the first time I have actually been scared to tears with worry about his breathing/health.

Apparently asthma in babies presents as this: Trouble feeding/sucking, coughing, wheezing, chest pulling in around the ribs, breathing rate increasing, and then onto the more scary symptoms like turning blue and nasal flaring. He has had alot of these problems on and off since he's been born, it's just been getting progressively worse.

He has been started on a daily treatment by nebulizer called pulmicort that is supposed to prevent asthma problems and then also he has been put on oral steroids for five days to get this episode under control. He took both fairly well so it shouldn't put to much damper on our daily routine. I just hope this all works...

No comments: